Friday, April 8, 2011

Weight of the World Washing Me Over

Earth Day is coming up on April 22nd of this year. I have been awakening each day to the gravity of how humans have negatively impacted the Earth, and I am feeling overwhelmed by my duties. This is not a foreign feeling, for I feel it most acutely when I wonder "how the heck am I going to raise two upstanding, connected world citizens?" But now, I ask myself "How the heck am I going to raise two upstanding, connected world citizens who are helping change the world and who are reducing their negaive impact on it with the everyday decisions they make about the daily business of living?" I look around and I have noticed that about one year ago I had WAY more plastic in my house in the forms of containers, toys, junk, cups, plates..etc than I do today. This took almost a year! I bet tons of plastic are manufactured every year. And I am still not where I want to be. Where DO I want to be? I have a rigid frame of mind at times that dictates a goal of using NOTHING plastic that can be helped. Can that realistically be done? I don't know. But I'm going to try.....maybe that will be what my next blog is about. Recently I discovered the MONUMENTOUS MESS called the Great Garbage Patch of the North Pacific Gyre. I was caught in the undertoe of a provocative video about the debris floating in the Pacific Ocean, most of it plastic.

Synthetic Sea from GreenPlate on Vimeo.

Horrors. What are we going to do? How are we going to do it? What can I do? I feel literally ill and have a physical urge to gag when I am sitting alone with my thoughts about the devastation that we don't want to look at. How can we not look? It's like deciding to ignore a festering sore on a limb because it's too ugly to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment